Which sail on the seas or hover several kilometers above the ground, the phantom ships fascinate the artists, who like to tell their last moments. If the very disappeared (at sea) Skull & Bones still seems brave, its crew is not as fresh as on the first day, and today confides our colleagues from Kotaku.
see also: Assassin’s Creed Infinity: Ubisoft officially explains the new direction
Life is certainly not a long river for Ubisoft’s piracy game: launched after a certain Black Flag and officially unveiled at E3 2017, the title disappeared from the radar the following summer, after a first grip. Last September, Ubisoft announced that it was taking a whole new direction, and finally postponed the launch to 2022. At least.
The raft of mduss
Journalist Ethan Gach today reveals the internal sinking of developers, after having conducted twenty interviews : in addition to having already swallowed up a pharaonic budget, Skull & bons has suffered for several years from a lack of vision and permanent reversals among its directors. We promise, we’ll spare you the parallel with Star Wars.
The project would have cost a trifle of $ 210 million (around 178 million euros), which is not likely to delight the main concerns:
If Skull & Bones had been developed at one of our competitors, it would have already died 10 times. Working with people for four or five years without seeing the project progress would destroy anyone.
Started 8 years ago, the project would first have suffered from the technical delay accumulated over the years, and the changes of generations:
Very quickly, you need better graphics. And you realize that your assets don’t work anymore. And the more elements you change, the more the whole becomes obsolete. And when a project has dragged on for more than two years, your initial assumptions no longer work.
In the port of Singapore …
The game would have been called Black Flag Infinite for a while, and saw its action take place in the Caribbean, then in the Indian Ocean, or in the fantastic world of Hyperborea. According to the testimonies gathered by Gach, Skull & Bones would have liked to hunt on the lands of Rainbow Six Siege, The Division then Ark Survive, sudden turnarounds which explain the slowness with which the project is moving forward … really, actually:
Every time we got back from Paris, the directors would freak out and change everything, even the people who were working on the game. It happened several times.
And the changes decided upon are far from trivial, since the game of naval combat can suddenly opt to explore the surrounding area on foot.
Almost 400 people are said to have worked on Skull & Bones in 2019, but several “exoduses” have already taken place – especially at Ubisoft Singapore, which develops the game -, which leads to a rejuvenation of the teams, and a lack of experience which obviously does not help refloating the boat:
The toxic culture that permeates the Singapore studio is largely responsible for many of the problems encountered during production, and has been acting like a plague for nearly a decade.
Contact by Kotaku, Ubisoft responded through a press release:
The Skull & Bones team are excited about the work they have done on the project since its last update, with production just entering its Alpha phase, and will be happy to share more details when the time is right. . That being said, any unfounded speculation about the game or the decisions taken only demoralizes the team who are working very hard to develop an ambitious new franchise that lives up to the expectations of our players. Over the past year, we have made significant changes in our policies and processes to create a safer and more inclusive workplace, and to enable our teams to create games that reflect the diversity of the world we live in.
Last I heard, the very protiform Skull & Bones is expected somewhere between April 1, 2022 and March 31, 2023. But in what state?